- 1 bundle of pucuk ubi
- 50g of gluten puff
- 1 pc asam keping
- 3 cups of fresh coconut milk from 1/2 coconut
- Salt to taste
- ½ tbsp. palm sugar
- Vegetarian seasoning taste (optional)
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 inch fresh turmeric
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 2 stalk of lemon grass
- 3 fresh chilies
- Remove the leaf from the stems. Rinse well with clean water.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, add some salt. Poach the leaf for 20-30mins until the leaf soften. Discard water, squeeze of the excess water from the leaf then cut into bite size.
- In a wok, add cooking oil, sauté the minced ingredients until aromatic.
- Add the leaf, coconut milk and asam keping. Bring to boil.
- Add the gluten puff, palm sugar/vegetarian seasoning. Lower the heat. Simmer for 30mins. Serve immediately.
- Pucuk ubi masak lemak, this dish preferred to consume within the same day of cooking. Do not let the dish sit at room temperature for a long time; it tends to get spoiled easily as its contain coconut milk. Advisable reheat the dish before consumption.
- The poaching step is very important. The leaf need to be soften enough otherwise you will get a chewy texture. This will ruin the entire dish.
- Asam keping is added to overcome the milky taste coconut milk (in malay call “jelak”).
- Fresh coconut milk is recommended as its will give the dish mildly sweet taste.